1.31.2010

The Traveling Man Mystery

Q: What is The Traveling Man feature? 
A: Business travel is a reality for many of us...and truthfully there is no better time to pursue a little-something-on-the-side than when you are hundreds of miles away from your significant other...so to that end, we have created a brand new service titled Traveling Man, which allows you to send a custom priority message to up to 40 female members in the city you are visiting. Simply tell us the type of women you are seeking by age, ethnicity and the location you want to meet in and we will bring the women to you! 
Best of all - you save 100s of credits, time and money; courtesy of your friends at Ashley Madison.
To view a receipt of messages sent to members for your upcoming trip, select mailbox then click Traveling Man.
Ah ha!  This explains SO MUCH!

For months I have been getting message with a suitcase icon as seen below.  When I roll my mouse over the icon, it simply says, this member is traveling to your city.  It never occurred to me to research any further, until I began to get so many messages from traveling men.

I began replying to a few of these traveling men, declining their obviously generic offers, before I learned the details of the feature.  It was thanks to one of the senders that I learned how these men were able to send a mass message to women who met their criteria. 

So, that is when I decided to add a poll to my sidebar.  Here are the results:

AM users: Do you know what the "Traveling Man" option is for messaging,and if so, do you like it?

Women: never heard of it = 11%
Women: heard of it and don't mind = .5%
Women: heard of it and dislike it = 2%
Men: never heard of it = 70%
Men: use it and like it = .5%
Men: know about it but don't use it = 14%

Well, I guess that the men who have contacted me do not read this blog!  The reason that I dislike this messaging option is because Ashley Madison is choosing me for these men, not the men themselves.  I would like to think that a man has read my profile and likes me and what I wrote in my introduction, not just my height, weight, age, and ZIP code!




11 comments:

Southern Swinger said...

Doesn't sound like anything I would use. I agree with your assessment. If I am going to meet someone I want to meet a person not a statistic and I would hope that person as read my profile I think we have an opportunity to form some type relationship ship beyond between the sheets

Kyra said...

Aha! So that's why I got those when I was on AM. It's good to have the explanation. But I agree completely with your assessment. It left me feeling like the man was desperate. I also do not like the idea of metting up with some random guy traveling to my area from a safety perspective. If he travels regularly to my area he should find my profile and strike up a correspondance.

But I'm left wondering, these guys that do this, do they ever get lucky?

Quiet Man said...

I always thought of AM for longer term relationships than a quick hookup. They've always marketed as a tool to help arrange an affair. Their slogan "Life is short. Have an affair", particularly the term affair, tends to bring to mind more than just one night, and more than just sex. Mass mailings to women in a place you visit, at best, occasionally leaves little doubt that it's just for sex.

Makes me wonder if AM is trying to expand beyond it's core market. Although they risk losing their niche (and customers) without better controls, or at least informing their members.

Anyway, I prefer this Traveling Man to AM's (http://wifetakesalover.blogspot.com/2009/04/traveling-mans-fantasy.html).

Thanks for the thought provoking post.

QM

Krazy said...

Ok, now that you've explained it, I definitely don't like it.

Unbroken said...

I'm not on AM but that's certainly an interesting little option they provide! I'm with the others on this one. If I were traveling and even considering such an encounter, I would hope the person I'm meeting would want as much of a connection as I would want with her. Life might be short, but I think it's far better to choose wisely.

Unbroken said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Riff Dog said...

Yet another decision they've made that makes the site worse, rather than better. This sounds like an idiotic idea on so many levels.

Dark Sparkles said...

Riff Dog is so right about this feature being idiotic. I had specific requirements I wanted in my profile, the main one being I don't do long distance. I was confused why I suddenly got several messages from men traveling to my state. I finally asked someone if he had read my profile and he hadn't. Ashley picked the profiles. So my being a bitch to them was AM's fault, lol, but I was truly disappointed they never read what I wrote in my profile. Mass emails suck and accomplish nothing....

amluvr said...

Well, until the search function is improved (Try searching for members in another city! It's not possible...), Traveling Man fills the gap for contacting women when traveling. I have used it 4 times and it has been successful for me 3 of the 4 times (2 "successes" in one case). The time it didn't work was very last minute (Delayed flight caused an unplanned overnight stay), but now I have 2 willing contacts in that city for next time! Personally, I would like to be able to choose the 40 women the message is sent to from women in that area. AM appears to send the messages to the women currently logged in and the most recently logged out.

Suburban Hotwife said...

amluvr: I am glad you have had good results, and I agree that the search function could stand improvements. I wonder if changing your zip code would be a way around this problem...?

As I explained in my post, I dislike AM selecting me for the Traveling men... it seems impersonal.

Thickready1974 said...

I missed the poll.

But I do know what the travelling man feature on AM is for. Although I don't use it. Simply because I don't travel. :)

I can see where some women may like the feature in that they can meet a man who they may not have to see again. Those one night flings. But for those women who are looking for a more steady lover a travelling message guy wouldn't be the right one.

One benefit to you is any message you see with a suitcase you can just delete without even reading the message.